Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fork in the Road.




For some time now, I have felt like I have come to a crossroads in my life. Over the years, horses and rodeo have been a sizeable part of my life; but now it seems that those facets may be a stepping-stone to something greater. Through tough times, my horse was my getaway, my chance to escape reality and engage in a more peaceful state of mind. Without rodeo, I would not have so many of the wonderful friends and people in my life. Because of rodeo, my first two years of college, are close to paid for. So many memories have originated from these elements, and not to mention instilled character, hard work, and determination. As of lately, I feel as if my life is ready for transition, and I feel that it is going to be big. I want to do things I have never even dreamed of. I want to step out of my comfort zone. I want to be challenged. I want to learn new things. Most of all, I am ready to make a difference.

My goal for the next year is to accumulate enough scholarship money to attend New York University in the fall of 2011. A year ago, NYU would not have even been on my radar, now that is all that my sights are set on. I cannot think of another place I would rather study. New York City is full of opportunities, fresh, new people, as well as an enormous part of our nation’s history. Another perk, Saturday Night Live is filmed in NYC, one of my very favorite shows, what could be better?

After my sophomore year at Howard College, my rodeo career is going to be put on hold temporarily, possibly forever. This is going to be a bittersweet decision for me, giving up my horse is going to be one of the hardest things for me to do, on the other hand I look forward to the new experiences life has for me. So until next time, live each day as it comes, and feast your eyes on the future.

2 comments:

  1. You go where you are being led, Cousin. Don't do like I did and end up 42 years old and waiting to die 75 yards from where you grew up. I wish I had your ability to put my thoughts into a cohesive essay. Maybe I wouldn't need all the SSRI's I'm on. I wish you nothing but the best. If I can help in any way, I am but a mouse click away.

    Fade to Black,
    Brent

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYU is my undergrad alma mater and I have to say it was one of the most challenging, educational, and enlightening experiences of my life. Having to be so focused and so competitive and being held to such high standards really shaped me as a person. Plus, while it's not even close to what you do, riding in Central Park is very cool.
    AKA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...