Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I Have Pennies, Your Two Cents Is Not Needed.

This evening, I was doing some research on homemade hoof moisturizer for my horse. With all the hot weather we’ve had, my horse Crawford’s hooves have become rather dry. I did not want to just go buy some hoof dressing at the local feed store, 1. Because they often do not work, and 2. They are normally way overpriced. So I thought I would try a home remedy. While searching through some forums, I came across several things; a lady looking for homemade hoof moisturizer much like myself, and people giving their opinions when not asked. The woman simply asked if anyone had used or heard of any good homemade recipes and that was all. In response to her inquiry, many gave their opinions on hoof moisturizer/oils/dressings. Many of the responses she got were rather rude, and definitely not what she requested. The thing I found most interesting about this forum was that a woman had asked a simple question, and still did not receive the answer she sought. If the woman had wanted someone’s opinion on hoof moisturizers, she would have stated that in her question, but she did not desire the counsel of others on this matter. After reading post after post, I was beginning to feel enraged for the woman seeking answers. Why can’t people learn to keep their two cents to themselves? People who didn’t even know the woman were accusing her of malnutrition and poor hoof maintenance of her horses. How can one make such judgments on another’s ability to care for her animals? Telling someone that hoof moisturizers are from the devil and should never be used on a horse is like telling someone that they should not use lotion on their own dry, cracked skin. Conventionally, the hoof is supposed to create and maintain its own moisture; but that does not mean that it won’t need help from time to time. Instead of trying to filter my way through forums of unnecessary conjectures, I am going to concoct my own remedy for my poor horse’s dry, cracked feet. On a brighter note, I found what sounds like an awesome recipe for homemade fly spray for horses! With fly season being in full bloom, and me always looking for ways to cut costs, I believe I’ll try it!

Here is the recipe for the homemade fly spray:
-2 tbsp dish soap
-2 cups water
-1/2 cup white vinegar

2 comments:

  1. Will the hoof moisturizer work on my cracked heels???? Linda S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it would! I will post the recipe once I have mastered it! Shouldn't be too much longer! Thanks for your interest :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...