Friday, June 4, 2010

K Squared and Company.

This is a story about a friendship that became to be.

I met Kady Knox the first semester of my freshman year in college. We were both members of the rodeo team. Throughout the whole first semester, we rarely spoke, not even a “hey, how are ya?” Being the person I am, I like to be likable person. I know that not every single person on the face of the planet is going to like me, but by golly I am going to try. So my goal for the rest of the semester was to get Kady to laugh. Everyone would be sitting at the lunch table and I would crack a joke, many of my close friends would laugh, and from Kady I would get one of those “you’re an idiot, looks.” I was not about to give up! Close to the end of the semester, Kady and her gang decided it would be funny to play a joke on the girls who lived next door, and me. I was up in the wee hours of the morning finishing up a paper, and jumped about ten feet out of my chair when I heard banging on the window of my second story dorm room. Yes, indeed I said second story. Then my “fight or flight” instinct kicked in, and for some reason my body chose “fight.” I opened my window and jumped out onto the four-foot wide ledge just below, walked to the end of the “balcony” to find none other than Kady and her gang. I was angry and tickled all at the same time. Tickled because I think I scared them more by catching them in the act, than they scared me by banging on my window. Of course being girls, this turned into lots of drama, followed by us making a treaty and promising to work on our friendships from then on out.

When everyone returned from Christmas break, things started to change. We were all able to converse like civilized people, and I didn’t receive anymore of those, “you’re an idiot, looks.” Things were starting to look up. As Kady, Nikki (Kady’s partner in crime), and I started hanging out more often, we realized we had more in common than we thought. The best part: goal accomplished, I was able to make Kady laugh. As the semester progressed, we became pretty close, and would engage in batty shenanigans together. By the end of the semester we were pretty much inseparable. Feeding ducks, making best friends with elephants, joining the circus, owning our own rodeo announcing business (K Squared and Company), leaving each other on the side of the road due to an accidental broken CD, were only a few of the adventures we embarked on.

This summer, Kady will be working in an area close to where I reside, so I am more than positive our list of contingencies will be added to. Well until next time, give everyone a chance, and never underestimate the opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...