Thursday, August 19, 2010

Oh Billy Boy.

I met Frank Francesco Sunday August 15, 2010. He was giving carriage rides to people in Times Square. Of course I had to go talk to him because he had a horse. Billy was the equine’s name. Just like any other horse, Billy loved carrots; and three carrots later we were instant friends.

I probably put Frank into question overload with my curiosity. But I learned quite a bit from him:
-It costs $2,000 a month to keep a horse in New York City. $2,000!!!!! That doesn’t even cover feed or hay, just the board.
-Billy came from an Amish farmer in Pennsylvania. So basically he was pretty much a carriage-ride-giving-pro.
-Also, Billy was a carrot fiend, and often mistook my fingers for those delicious orange things.
-Frank had only been in the horse business for about two years; but he definitely knew how to feed a horse because Billy had obviously not missed any meals.

Something that is always reassuring to me is a horses’ trusting nature. Billy was so quick to trust me (he would do anything for a little rub and a carrot). I know it sounds silly to talk about horses in such a manner, but they have second to none personalities. To understand a horse, you have to let them understand you. What a nice “treat” it was to get to converse with Frank, and learn a little bit about what he does, and his origin with Billy.

I came back to Texas with much more knowledge than I had before, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...