Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New York State of Mind.

Travel has been one of the many thoughts rolling around my brain this past month. I’ve been itching to take a brief break from Texas and venture anywhere but here. Don’t get me wrong, Texas is a great place to be, but stepping out of the Lone Star state for a bit never hurt anyone. Currently I’m reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac, and that has not helped curb my need for travel, it has only accentuated it.

This week I have two days off of work in a row, so my brother John and I are taking an impromptu trip to NYC. We leave early Thursday morning and return late Friday night. Maybe this extravaganza will satisfy my travel urges for a bit, or maybe it will lead to yearning for more exciting voyages. Regardless, I know that it I will be delighted to get away from the one hundred degree temperatures we’ve been experiencing.

Here is an excerpt from my travel journal the last time I was in NYC, August 2010:

“We took the air train to Jamaica station. There we caught the E train, which took us to 42nd street. Once there, we transferred to the 1 train and headed uptown. We made it to 103rd street, walked two blocks, and then arrived at our destination: Hostelling International-New York! We checked in, dropped our stuff in our room, and by this time we were starving. Before we ate, we had to stop at Starbucks for some iced coffee, of course. Then we decided to eat at Mama’s pizzeria (I always go there when I come here). Shortly after dinner we went back to the hostel. A Michael Jackson impersonator met us at the elevator and invited us to watch him perform in five minutes. We quickly dropped our purses in our room, and made it back just in time. His performance was decent, but quite repetitive. After he was finished, Leah and I went down to the movie room and witnessed some of the worst stand up comedy EVER. Beyond awful. I would not like to give a recap, thank you.”

Next week I may post something from my journal from this New York trip. Thanks for tuning in! I’d like to know, where have you traveled recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...